Roundabout Hobo Bag

I was really excited to be able to pattern test a new bag for Erin Gilbey at Dog Under My Desk.  When I started sewing three years ago, her patterns were the first I began using.  I actually didn’t appreciate how awesome she was until I tried using other bag patterns!  She is extremely detailed which I think is great for beginners and even intermediate sewists.  I also find that some patterns don’t offer nearly enough photos of their steps as the pattern progresses.  This is definitely not the case with Erin.  She basically photographs every.single.step.

Her newest pattern is a hobo style bag, called the Roundabout Hobo.  It is a super easy bag to make because it literally has one pattern piece!  She has incorporated a zipper pocket which can be used for the lining or the exterior.  One thing to know about Erin:  she hates raw edges!  She created the zipper pocket so that there are no raw edges, including seeing the edge of the zipper tape.  It was the first time using this technique for me and it was pretty simple.  It added maybe 5 minutes to the zipper pocket process.

Erin really likes zippers and tries to make you relax and not be afraid of sewing them into bags.  Because I had no sewing experience before her patterns, I did not know to have a fear of zippers 🙂  With her instructions, I find zipper placement pretty easy work.  She made sure to add a zipper closure to this hobo style bag (rather than snap closures that are often seen with this style).

 

 

For testing, I chose a purple vinyl for the exterior.  I bought this vinyl last year when Hancock Fabrics went out of business, so it was definitely a good price.  Unfortunately, I got a shock at the cutting counter when they told me the minimum cut was FIVE yards.  Needless to say, I have a surplus of this vinyl (anybody want some??)

 For the interior, I used a Valentine’s Day print I bought at JoAnn’s last year.  Not sure what I thought I was going to make with it, but it worked for this bag, so there ya go!
I opted to put my zipper pocket on the outside.  I only placed a slip pocket in the lining.

As I mentioned, the bag was very easy to put together.  It took me about two hours to complete (not including cutting, which I did on a different day).  In the end, I was not happy with how the vinyl worked with my machine.  I got a new machine this year and it was the first time it sewed the vinyl.  I probably should have switched to my walking foot because it was very difficult feeding the vinyl most of the time.  I don’t have a teflon foot, and I don’t know if that would help or not, but honestly, I’m too cheap to invest in one.

I am looking forward to making more of these bags.  I think canvas would be the perfect weight and easy to sew up, so that is on my long list of future projects.

To end, I can’t believe I’ve made it 4 posts before showing the most handsome cat in the world, but finally here he is, helping me with my project as usual: